The Swaminarayan Sampradaya is an ancient Hindu tradition and it was founded during the year 1801 by Sahajanand Swami, who is popularly known as Swaminarayan, a form of Lord Krishna. Due to the grace of the holy saint and divine avatar Swaminarayan, lot of Swami Narayan temples were constructed by his followers in India as well as in abroad.
Swami Narayan teachings are very simple. He asks us to realize the god from our soul, and also, he insists us to chant the mantras of the almighty in order to get salvation, and to avoid taking re-births.
During his life time itself, Swaminarayan has constructed few Swaminarayan Mandirs in India. Swaminarayan Sampradaya is against caste discrimination, and it treats all classes of people as alike. Now the Swaminarayan Sampradaya is providing lot of social services throughout the world.
Some of the activities of the Swaminarayan Sampradaya are as follows:
- Providing food to all the devotees through its centralised kitchen, and sweets would be distributed to the devotees during the times of festivals.
- Providing free clothes and food packets to the poor and destitute.
- Propagating the teachings of Swami Narayan amongst the masses.
- Building Swami Narayan temples across the world.
- Planning to provide education support to the under privileged children.
- Insists the devotees and the followers to chant the “SWAMINARAYAN” Mantra, “JAI SRI SWAMINARAYAN NAMAHA”.
- Maintenance of libraries and publishing of books of Swami Narayan.
- Setting up of medical centres for the welfare of the people in India and in foreign countries.
- Regular bhajans would takes place in the Swami Narayan temples.