Unnayi Variyar was a poet and a devotional writer who lived in Kerala, during the 18th century. He is best known for his rich contribution in Kathakali dance, and won the hearts of thousands of Keralites. At his teenage, he used to produce beautiful garlands at the Irinjalakkuda Koodalmanikyam Temple. His famous work Nalacharitham was published during the year 1749 AD.
He was the guru of Sri Ramapurathu Variyar and he taught the Hindu devotional subjects to him. He was an ardent devotee of Lord Guruvayurappan, and he used to sing bhakti songs in the Guruvayur Temple.
- Bhakta Dhuruva and Prahalada Mahatmyam
- Short devotional stories for children
- Commentary on Bhagavatham
- Commentary on Ramayanam
- The essence of Narayaneeyam
- Krishna Bhakti
Unnayi Variyar Smaraka Kalanilayam is a music institute, situated in Kerala, which offers training courses in music.
FAMOUS VERSES FROM POEMS
- By visiting Guruvayur, we can have the glimpse of Child Krishna, and can get the everlasting divine bliss.
- The impossible in our life can be made possible by worshipping Lord Krishna.
- There is no possibility to escape from our Karmic deeds, but by worshipping the divine Lord Krishna, we would get the withstanding power to face any kind of problems in our life.
- Forget about your physical sufferings, and don’t worry about old age, disease and death. Do your work properly, rest Lord Krishna would take care of.
- Without getting the grace of Lord Krishna our life is waste.
- We can become a great scholar only by developing the habit of reading, listening and grasping subjects.
- Physical pleasures will last only for a few years, but divine pleasures would come with us for many thousands of years.
Let us worship the great poet-saint and be blessed.
“OM SRI UNNAYI VARIYARE NAMAHA”