Prashastapada was an ancient sage. He wrote commentaries on various holy texts of Hinduism, and he was considered as a great scholar in the Brahma Sutras. He is believed to have lived before few thousand years. Prashastapada also had written books on bhakti, dharma and the ways to attain salvation. He is believed to be a great devotee of Lord Shiva. During his period, he also met various Sages and saints like Adishankara, Markandeya and Viswamitra and discussed with them about spiritual matters.
Prashastapada was widely praised by the ancient kings and scholars for his vast knowledge in Vedas, Shastras and Puranas. It is believed that he went to Bhadrikashramam, in order to get clarified some spiritual doubts with Sri Veda Vyasa. He has some disciples, and he used to tell his disciples to travel to various holy temples, in order to express their bhakti on the almighty. He lived a simple life and at his old age, he went to the Himalayas, performed severe penance on Lord Shiva, and attained Salvation.
Some of his teachings are as follows:
- Give great respect to your Mother, Father, Guru and Elders.
- By reading the holy texts, all of your questions with regard to spirituality can be known.
- Without living a disciplined life, you cannot lead your life happily.
- Remember, that your noble acts are considered by the almighty as performing puja to him.
- Your life is precious hence don’t waste your time by doing unwanted things in your life.
- Don’t waste even a single second, since time gone cannot come back again.
- Have sincere faith and keep bhakti on the God.
- Taste the glory of the god, keep your thoughts on him, and devote him wholeheartedly.
- Live your life peacefully with the things gifted by the god.
- Roar like a lion when you have been attacked by your enemies, and behave softly with noble persons.
- Avoid jealousy and ego in your life.
- Always think that we are all the slaves of the almighty.
- We have to follow the spiritual path, in order to attain salvation.
- Consider everyone as the incarnations of the god.