Sarabhanga is an ancient sage, and he lived during the Treta Yuga, and the details about him are mentioned in Ramayana. He lived in the Dandaka forest, at a hermitage, and he lead a holy life by performing meditation on the almighty, and used to eat only simple food like greens, vegetables and fruits.
During the time of exile period of Lord Rama, Rama visited Rishi Sarabhanga at the Dandaka forest, at his ashram, along with Lakshmana and Mata Sita. The great sage Sarabhanga welcomed them, and he offered fruits as food items, and made them to take rest for some time at his ashram. He asked about the wellness of Rama, and after getting the permission of Lord Rama, he fell down in the funeral pyre, and due to the grace of Lord Rama, the great sage Sarabhanga didn’t get burned, but arouse from the fire as a young man with a charming appearance, and after he offered prayers to Lord Rama, he went to the abode of Lord Indra, the Swarka Loka.
TEACHINGS OF SARABHANGA
- Realize the god from your soul.
- Control your mind by doing meditation.
- Always eat simple food.
- Don’t cause harm to the living beings in the earth.
- Regular prayers alone would make you to reach the spiritual path.
- Keep chanting the names of the almighty in order to attain enlightenment.
- Surrender yourself into the feet of the god.
- Respect your parents, and take care of them carefully.
- Do good karmic deeds, and follow the path of Dharma in order to attain salvation.
- Don’t worry about the death god Yama, and keep chanting the names of the god, in order to get a fearless and a painless death.